A Stay at Home Student’s Guide to Starting University

Monday, 17 August 2015

Credit
It’s that time of the year again where thousands of people make the big jump into the world of university. It doesn’t seem five minutes since I got my university offer and went to my enrolment day. How time flies!

For many people going to university is the first chance they’ve had to live completely independent from their families, to discover a new town, and try new experiences. It’s pretty much expected that if you’re going to university that you will move into student accommodation in your first year. But that just isn’t the right choice for everyone.

I knew when I applied for university that I wasn’t ready to move out. I knew I’d miss my home comforts far too much. So, for my Fresher’s year, I stayed at home and went to a university 20 miles away from my front door. For me, it was the right choice.

But staying at home doesn’t mean you don’t get to enjoy the same level of independence, new experiences and discoveries that your fellow students might. You get to enjoy all of that, with the added bonus of being able to save some cash by not paying rent (or a reduced rate rent anyway!)

Here are my top tips for enjoying Freshers year as a stay at home student:

Use social media to meet your classmates

For students living in halls, by the time it comes to the first activity of orientation, they probably already know a few people. As a stay at home student, you may not have had that chance. I know I didn’t. I turned up for my first day and didn’t know anyone. I was on my own until I found another student on their own to chat with.

When I started uni, social media wasn’t anywhere near as popular as it is now, and the only way we really had to interact with our classmates was through UCAS discussion board. But now the majority of universities and student unions use Facebook as a way to get Freshers to interact with each other before they arrive on campus.

It gives you the chance to meet your classmates, meet other students living at home, and ask any questions you have in advance of your arrival. Take advantage of the groups/pages/events they offer. It can put you in touch with other people in a similar situation, and make that first day much more enjoyable.

Get involved with your union

Being a stay at home student can limit the people you meet just because you don’t get to interact with flat mates and their classmates, and expand your friendship circles that way. But a great way to meet new people, and try out new things is to get involved with your union.

I didn’t get involved with my union until I was in my final year and became a Student Trustee. Looking back now, I regret that. In that one-year I got to meet a range of new people I’d never have met otherwise, learnt some new skills and have something different to put on my CV for when I graduated (I appreciate as a fresher, graduation seems a long time away, but it’ll come round sooner than you think). Even just being in a society gives you something to write about when the time for CVs comes and can make you stand out from the crowd.

Find out when your Freshers Fair is and see what your union has to offer. You might just find your new hobby or best friend there.

Avoid the temptation to stay at home

If you’ve got a long commute to get to your lectures there’s a lot more temptation just to stay at home, particularly when the weather is rubbish and your bed is nice and warm. If you get into the habit of skipping lectures, you’ll soon find you miss more than you attend. Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying you have to attend every lecture/seminar (although it is recommended!). You will miss some, as will all of your friends who live 2 minutes away from the building, but avoid the temptation as much as you can.

Be organised

Organisation is the key to being a stay at home student. Not being able to go home in between each lecture means you have to make sure you have everything you need that day with you when you leave the house. The last thing you want to do is turn up to a class without your prep work, or without the textbook you need. Or turn up with a text book for a module you don’t have that day. Not only are uni textbooks expensive, they are also big and heavy. You don’t want to end up carrying around an unnecessary book all day.

Buy a planner and make sure you note down what lectures you have on what day and what books/files you need to bring. Not only will it save your arms from all those heavy books, it’ll save you from turning up without what you need.

Don’t feel obliged to stay at home every year

Just because you made the decision to stay at home in your first year, doesn’t mean you have to stick by that for every other year. I did a four-year course and lived in student accommodation in my second and third year. I moved back home for final year. I enjoyed getting to experience both ways of life.

If you want to stay at home every year, then there is nothing wrong with that. But if you change your mind and want to move in with your friends, then go for it! Do what’s right for you.

Enjoy it

Yes you have lectures, yes you have work to do, but first year is supposed to be fun. Make sure you enjoy it. Once you move up to second year there’s more expectations on you to do more work, and then in final year it’s even worse. Enjoy yourself as much as you can and as well as you can.


Sarah x

1 comment