Book Review - The Girls Wearing Black Series by Spencer Baum
Friday, 24 July 2015
I got the first book in this series when it was on offer on Amazon. It was free (on one of their daily deals), and although I'd never heard of it, I figured it had Vampires in and I tend to enjoy vampire stuff so thought I'd give it a go. I finally got round to reading it whilst I was away, and I am so glad that Amazon gave away this book. I doubt I'd have read it otherwise. The first book had me hooked, and I rushed to buy the other 3 in the series as soon as I'd finished the first one.
This series isn't the typical vampire romance stories you see a lot of at the moment. There's no mortal falling in love with a vampire, and a story dedicated to how they're going to live their lives together and enjoy their forbidden love. This is different.
In this series, the Immortals (aka vampires) are in charge. While the Politicians and the rich may think they have power, the ultimate control lies with the Immortals. Becoming an Immortal in this world isn't easy. To be turned you have to bond with a vampire. Unless you're a girl in the senior class at Thorndike Academy.
Senior girls at Thorndike get the chance of a lifetime. They get the opportunity to be turned by Sergio, a vampire who doesn't bond. Giving them more power, control and respect than they could ever dream of. All you have to do is turn up to Homecoming in a black dress, and you enter the contest. But entering the contest comes at a price. You enter a contract with the Immortals. A contract that states if you win you become an Immortal, but if you come last you become the new Immortal's first meal.
This series follows one year of the coronation contest where preparations had been made for years to ensure that one girl won and became immortal. That was until the surprise entry of Nicky Bloom. Supported by her friends, Nicky launches a campaign to win the contest to achieve the ultimate prize and she soon catches the attention of the Immortals. But as the contest progresses, it's clear that Nicky and Kim both underestimated each other.
All of the characters are portrayed well. They each have their own unique personalities, their own backgrounds, and develop in their own ways. At some point in the series, you will route for each and every one of them. Even the Immortals.
My favourite is Jill. One of the key characters from the offset, she's a teenager doing her best to support Nikki and achieve the ultimate aim. By the end of the series, she's grown into someone wiser than her aged. Forced to face the truth about her Father's past activities, and the truth about her Mother's need to work, Jill learns to fight for herself, her own course, and becomes a key player in the coronation contest.
I loved the way this series is written. Each book is focused around one key event in the coronation contest, but Spencer Baum manages to bring in all the stories, past and present, of the key characters in with ease. They flow well, and keep you intrigued as to what is coming next.
A brilliant read, and something different to the more popular vampire series. I look forward to reading more of Spencer Baum's work in the future
Rating: 9/10
Sarah x
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments
Post a Comment