I don't know what it is but the thought of turning up and being the new girl in a class terrified me. I was worried I was going to turn up and not know what I was doing, make a massive mistake or look ridiculous. So I continued with my little cardio routine with the occasional weights thrown in, not really making any progress.
After a fairly unhealthy March, I decided that in April I would give myself 30 days to turn my fitness regime back around. I've been going for a run before work, signed up to a new dance class, bought myself some ankle weights and a foam roller, and I finally took the plunge and signed up to a Kettlebells class.
| Credit to: Lucy Fry |
A kettlebell is a cast iron/steel weight, shaped a bit like a cannon ball, that comes in a range of weights depending on how strong you are (I'm a weakling so could only manage a 4kg one), and can be used to perform a range of cardio, strength and flexibility exercises.
The class I signed up to was only 30 mins long, which I couldn't understand. All the other classes on the timetable are an hour long, why would this one only be 30 mins? Well, as I learnt on Friday, Kettlebells are an insane workout! There's no way I could have done more than 30 minutes. I'm actually surprised I managed that long.
Our instructor is ex-army and he pushed us through a range of different exercises. Some focused on legs, some backs, some arms and some abs. We did swing movements, push ups, squats, sit ups. 30 second reps of each, with a ten second break in between each rep. Then after 4 reps, we'd change to a different exercise.
I was really skeptical up until I got there. Having never used a kettlebell before, and not being a fan of weight lifting, I thought it was going to be a nightmare 30 minutes for me. But it wasn't I loved it.
I came out extremely sweaty (sorry, tmi!), tired, feeling like I wanted to throw up and aching all over. It was amazing! And even after rolling out my body, and stretching, I'm still feeling good aches two days later.
I think I may have found my new favourite form of exercise.
Sarah x
see you were worried for nothing! I totally need to get back to working out but i hate the gym. lovely blog xx
ReplyDeleteI definitely was panicking over nothing! Went back to the class again last night and really enjoyed it. Thanks for your nice comment xx
Delete