Dear Grandad...

Monday, 23 March 2015

Dear Grandad,

Today we said our last goodbye and I can't believe how hard it was. It didn't hit me until now that I'm never going to see you again.

You've been the best Grandad I could ever wish for. You've given us all so many happy memories and been a real inspiration to me as I've grown up. I'll never forget you walking me to school every day for seven years, taking Stacey, me and the dogs to Finchle Abbey, strawberry picking with you and Grandma, our holidays to Scarborough (particularly Primrose Valley) and Great Yarmouth, and teaching me to play the trumpet.

You were such an amazing trumpet player with so much knowledge and experience to share. I'm glad you shared some of it with me. We found a video of you playing at a WI concert in 1996 the other week, with a bit of modern technology we managed to make a medley of all the songs from that night together and played it as part of the service today. It ended with I'm the King of the Swingers. And you definitely were. You were up there with the greats in my opinion.

I'm sorry I upset you by giving up music. I had an a great ten years playing in the bands, and competing at Blackpool was an amazing experience, but my enjoyment for that lifestyle faded as I got older. My priorities changed and I had to give it up if I wanted to concentrate on uni, work and enjoying my life. I'm sure you understood why I had to do what I did, and you're proud of how I turned out.

I am so thankful that I got to know you and spend 23 amazing years with you. You were a great man who put his family before everything else, and I hope that you and Grandma are looking down on us all smiling. I hope I make you proud and that if I ever have a family of my own, I raise them just as well as you raised us.

I love you and miss you so much.

Sarah x

No comments

Post a Comment